Saturday, December 25, 2010

Testing the Waters.

No food yet (from the book). Just updating to see how the blog template looks with another entry and uploading some old photos. These were from when I made Banh Bao (Vietnamese Steam Dumplings) with my father.

I could eat about a million of these things in one sitting (maybe). There's something about the semi-sweet, chewy dough and the savory, rich filling that makes these things one of my top favorite Vietnamese foods. They're certainly not a lunch or dinner meal typically but I would have no problem eating these things any time of day.

This was all cooked such a long time ago. It was my first time making steamed dumplings and I haven't had time to make anymore since then. Perhaps after I come back from my trip I'll make a few of these. School will be starting soon and they're a good thing to grab and go. 

Doesn't that just make your mouth water? Typically the Banh Bao are filled with ground pork, a hard boiled egg (quartered, halved or kept whole if you're feeling ravenous) and Lap Xuong (a kind of sausage). I kind of wish I had one now. Mmm.

PS: I used and followed the instructions behind a bag of dumpling flour for making the dough (which you can find at any Oriental Market). I used this bag. (Pardon the bad photo quality)

No comments:

Post a Comment